Golf Tournament Gifts | Gotta-Grip Golf Blog

Friday, April 18, 2008

Golf Tournament Gifts

Goody Bags, Tee Prizes, Tournament Gift Bags, however you refer to them, are a staple of Corporate and Charity golf tournaments. They also present a real challenge to tournament organizers...what can we do that's new and unusual, unique? There are no easy answers but here are some random thoughts on tournament prizes I've received (in 4 categories) based on almost 40 years of attending these events.

  • Ubiquitous: This includes balls, tees , ball markers, ball mark repair tools, sunscreen, shirts, hats, yada, yada, yada. Paulette Goddard, noted film star of another era, was quoted as saying about gifts, "I don't accept flowers, I take nothing perishable". Most items in the ubiquitous category fall into a more or less perishable category. They may not even leave the premises, and if so, they disappear into a limbo, only to resurface when you move or engage in some thorough house cleaning ritual.
  • Most Surprising: While filling out an entry form for a much anticipated corporate event, I was asked my shoe size. Not unusual, since not a few events provide golf shoes as a tournament prize. On arrival however I was very surprised (and pleased) to find a beautiful pair of leather soled, tasseled snakeskin loafers. 15 years later, they are still in my wardrobe (with new soles) and bring back great memories of that event.
  • Most Unusual: Another corporate event, actually a Seniors Pro Am. A very unique experience, with tournament prizes that don't resonate with me now, other than one. About two weeks after returning home I received a very very large package from UPS...a highly polished,classic wooden "University Chair". These chairs are normally black, with tan arms, and have the university's seal emblazoned on the upper most back rest. In the this case, the official seal of the golf tournament appeared on the back rest. The chair still provides comfort and good service, along with good memories.
  • Most Memorable: Shortly after Callaway Golf bought the Odyssey Putter brand I participated in a charity event for our city's Zoo. The venue was a prestigious private course and the primary tee or tournament prize was the new Odyssey 2 ball putter. These we handed out by Mrs. Ely Callaway in person after the round. I believe Ely Callaway was scheduled to attend but when he could not, Mrs Callaway very graciously filled in. I play left handed and not surprisingly, there were no left handed putters on site. Also, schedules were a little hectic around Mrs. Callaway's departure,but I did manage to speak with her very briefly, thank her for attendance, and mention my lefthandedness problem. She jotted down my name on a scrap of paper as she was leaving and said she'd see that I received a putter. I didn't doubt her intentions ,but given her undoubtedly hectic schedule, the brevity of our visit and the informality of my request, I expected to be following up with the golf club in a week or two. To my unexpected and pleasant surprise, two days later FedEx delivered the putter direct from Callaway. I still have a great memory of that tournament and a respect for Mrs Callaway as a representative of her company and the sport of golf. Of course I still have and use the putter...but to this day, I'm not a very good putter.

0 comments: