How do you learn how to golf? | Gotta-Grip Golf Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2008

How do you learn how to golf?





Did you ever wonder how you learn? I ask myself that question more and more as the years go by. Why are some people just innately blessed with the tools for business, and others are cut out for sports.

I am an average golfer, somewhere around a 20 handicapper, although I wish I were closer to a 6. Even though I am far from ever realizing that dream, I was able to become involved in the golf business.
My business partner (who is a very good golfer), and I share the same love for the game of golf and he has taught me things about golf, business, and life, in the process.

Upon getting to see the professionals up close at tournaments since we started our business, one thing is clear...Their attitude towards the "task-at-hand" is one of the things that separates them from the rest of us.

From the time they arrive at the course, to the time (sometimes 9 hours later), you will see them warming up. Practicing on the golf range (with every club in the bag), practicing putting for up to an hour, to the match play itself, to the time they load the clubs back in the car, you can see the intensity they bring.

Where did they learn this?
For some it's a simple matter of family, genes, etc., but there needs to be an emphasis on FAMILY here. Whether it is father/son, father/daughter, mother/son or daughter or a positive figure in their lives, the key to becoming proficient at golf (and learning how to learn), could be that there is a connection established that it is "ok to do well" at something that you have god-given ability for.

Tiger Woods is an [obvious] good contemporary example of someone that bonded well with his father, but there was a dynamic with his mother too that gave him all the encouragement he needed to unlock his potential.

I know there are golfers on the PGA tour now that were raised by foster and step-parents so the mystery of these relationships remains...a mystery to some degree. That's why programs like First Tee are such great things for the game.

One of the things my partner and I try to do with our web site
http://www.gotta-grip.com is to provide more than just products. We also to give information about game improvement, tournaments and the lessons one learns in life and how they can be applied to getting better at something...even if you are like me and weren't born a "natural" at it.

0 comments: