Golf, Google, And The Earth | Gotta-Grip Golf Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Golf, Google, And The Earth

When I woke up this morning, I opened my browser...to be greeted by a black Google Screen. I thought something was wrong until I saw the message that said..."We have turned out the lights, now it's your turn - Earth Hour".


Golf is most definitely a part of the environmental movement, and in fact we have an article on the subject titled 'Environmentally Friendly Golf' that talks about the various reasons why golf courses are an integral part of the local ecosystems.

Additionally, how golf course management is becoming conservation, preservation, and dedication to ensuring that the land they occupy remain an environmentally friendly place where plants and animals have a place to thrive even when the surrounding areas are giving way to building.

Companies like Cruise Car Incorporated are offering solar power assisted battery solutions that help by reducing the draw of electricity by course operators.

Turf care is taking a turn for the better with less chemicals, and more organic materials being used. Companies like Eco-Cover are poised to dramatically reduce the need for plastic wrap & cover for routine tree and dispersed area maintenance on new planting.

There was even a story about eco-friendly golf tees that made headlines a while back.

All in all, this "blackout" that stared me in the face when I opened up Google this AM, was a good reminder that not just Earth Hour, not just April 22nd (Earth day), but every day I golf, I will be applauding the new type of effort going into the ecology at the golf courses in the US, and around the world.

0 comments: